Monday, August 10, 2015

"The Day the Crayons Quit" Amigurumi Crayon Toys

For our granddaughter's fourth birthday I decided to crochet the crayons from the book "The Day the Crayons Quit," by Drew Daywalt. It looks like a very cute book, and since art runs in the family and our granddaughter loves to draw, it was a natural choice. Her daddy got the book for her, and I got to be creative. 



These four were quite fun to do, and certainly not hard to make. I used several patterns showing how to make colored pencils, and adapted them with a few changes. Here's one I found most helpful: Free Crochet Pattern: Colored Pencils , with thanks to the designer! Once you get going with amigurumi it's pretty simple to make a tube shape. 


The expressions were most fun to make, though I kept them simple, as much like the original drawings as I could. I used embroidery floss for the arms and legs, making a little loop as a hand, and knotting the legs. I also added knots near the body so that the floss wouldn't slip through too far, for fear it would tangle.





 These characters just made me laugh, and I treasure a photo of the grandgirl holding them happily!

No comments:

Post a Comment